Monday 17 November 2008

Are Social Sites A Bad Thing?

Dear Reader,

There I was on Sunday morning reading through the paper when I came across an article on a young lady who is addicted to the social site Facebook. At first, while reading, I thought 'what a silly situation, who would get addicted to something so impersonal and almost inhuman?' Then I considered my own behaviour with Social networking sites and had to admit, I was probably slightly addicted myself! When I first ventured into the networking sites it was purely for the purpose of 'getting my company name out there'. Now, during my working day I sit Twittering, Blipping music, catching up with what my Facebook chums have been doing (with an insight to their lives which one would not normally see) and generally googling words or names I am not familiar with. If that is not slightly addicted, I'm not sure what is! The young lady in question did go on to say she adds people without knowing them first, which I think is a bit dangerous to say the least as you never know heh. As for making friends, I do believe I have made several new friends whom I would probably not have made in 'reality' as Social Networking helps me hide sides of my personality which might put some off (I am quite the life and soul LOL!). I love making new connections and am thrilled to make them with Techy, Arty, Earthly, Financial and Sporty people, basically others from all over the world who help fill the gaps in my intelligence which benefits me and my life! Where alse can you attend an art show, an IT conference, a Financial debate and have upto date news from all around the world?

My conclusion to the article and my own thoughts on this subject are very clear. I use it when and where I can but If I can't then I don't. Addiction can be measured in variable levels to which we can all relate to in some degree.

Are you addicted?

Shelley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am i Addicted?....

I would not class myself as an addict, but that said when leaving work and getting home,its not the beer i turn to its the laptop to update my twitter status to tell everyone i am home!!
lol

Maybe I am??

@HighKeyLee